Small changes incorporated into daily cooking can make a big difference – so simple! Read on for ideas on healthier ingredient substitution ideas.
It wasn’t until recently that I really started to think about whether there are ingredient substitutes that may have more nutritional benefit than those that I automatically add to my shopping list.
I firmly believe that everything that goes into the ‘machine’ should have a nutritional benefit and the more I can pack in the better!
Many of the ingredient ideas I have suggested below mean you can keep cooking the recipes you love in exactly the same way, with the benefit of knowing you are adding more goodness into your little one’s food. If you are thinking you don’t have time to trek around the shops looking for them – don’t worry, most supermarkets stock these ingredients. Keeping life simple – exactly what we love!
Here are a few ingredients that I am really enjoying substituting right now:
- Wholemeal/rye/multigrain vs white bread
- Wholemeal/spelt/buckwheat vs white flour
- Coconut oil and olive oil vs butter
- Chia seeds vs sesame seeds
- Dairy free coconut ice cream (AMAZING!) or simply frozen bananas whizzed up or frozen yoghurt vs regular sugary ice cream (usually full of E numbers stabilisers and artificial flavourings and colours)
- Brown rice and ancient grains such as quinoa vs white rice
- Sweet potato wedges vs potato wedges
- Whole wheat couscous vs regular couscous
- Un-sulphured dry fruit vs regular dried fruit
- Humous vs butter or mayo
- Full fat, unsweetened natural yoghurt vs flavoured yoghurt
- Nut butters vs peanut butter (peanuts contain many chemicals as they are farmed so intensively and are frequently GM!)
- Good quality dark chocolate or cacao vs milk chocolate
- Whole wheat pasta vs regular pasta
- Olive oil/coconut oil spray vs liquid
- Fresh or frozen fruit vs canned
- Kale crisps or popcorn vs crisps
- Home made vinaigrette vs store bought salad dressing
- Garlic and spices or low sodium soy vs salt
- Naturally dried salt flakes vs chemically manufactured salt
- Carbonated water with fresh juice vs fizzy drinks
What ingredients are you loving at the moment? Variety really is the spice of life, mix and match, experiment, find out what works for you. I’d love to hear your ideas.
Happy experimenting x