This ‘Grow a seed from an egg idea‘ is so easy and suitable for even the smallest of gardeners!
Your little one will enjoy full responsibility for their egg seeds; nurturing and watering. It will only be a matter of days before little shoots start to appear – so exciting for inquisitive minds and a reminder for big minds about the wonders of nature and the effects of feeding your precious seeds well.
If you have time – why not get your artist to paint your egg? A great activity for half term.
Egg shells – rinsed. Simply crack your egg as closed to the top as you can – The egg can be used for french toast!
A handful of soil – more if doing a few eggs
A couple of seeds e.g. cress, sprouts per egg
An old egg box
- Decorate your clean egg shell – if you have time
- Fill your egg shell with soil to 1cm below the top
- Sprinkle a few seeds
- Water so the soil is moist – careful not to flood it!
- Sprinkle a little soil over the seeds
- Place in a sunny place such as a window sill
- Check your seed daily and water as required
- When your egg seed is fully grown trim your harvest with scissors and enjoy as a garnish with your tea! We love ours on our pizza.
How kids can help:
- Kids can do everything (although they might need a little help!)