It’s that time of year…. we just can’t get enough of it! It’s a great finger food, it’s great for dipping, add it to salads, throw in pasta, enjoy on it’s own, of course it’s asparagus! Enjoy asparagus now while it is absolutely at it’s best, not to mention on offer.
It can be steamed, boiled, grilled, pan fried or barbecued so there really is no excuse!
Oil – depending on cooking method
- Simply bend the stems and the woody end will snap off
- If grilling, frying or barbecuing drizzle with a little olive oil
- Cook with your preferred method for approximately 2 minutes until there is still some resistance when pierced with a knife. Asparagus is definitely better undercooked
Tips: Drizzle with a little vinaigrette and a few parmesan shavings for the most heavenly side dish…
How kids can help:
- Talk through how to look for perfect asparagus – fresh tips, firm spears, rich green colour
- Gently bend the asparagus near the stem and woody part will snap off
- Get your helper to arrange the asparagus on a plate. If you are short of time cool but running under cold water