This Aubergine Bake from Little Dish is a nice vegetarian alternative and is popular with children who like lasagne. Little helpers can get involved by spooning on the tomato sauce and layering all the ingredients.
1 tbs dried mixed herbs
2 Garlic cloves finely chopped
2 tbs Olive oil
50g Parmesan cheese, grated
250g Mozzarella cheese sliced
2 Cans chopped tomatoes
2 large aubergines
Salt and Pepper to taste – optional
Serves a family of 4 or 6 kids
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C
- Heat half the olive oil in a medium sized saucepan, add the garlic and gently cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and mixed herbs and simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, slice the aubergines into 1cm thick rounds. Brush both sides with the remaining oil and sauté over a low to medium heat, turning a few times until soft (about 5 minutes cooking time on each side). It’s important to get the aubergine as tender as possible, so take extra time if needed.
- Season the tomato sauce, to taste. Spread a few spoonfuls of sauce across the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Place about a third of the aubergines in a layer over the sauce. Cover with a layer of mozzarella (again, about a third) and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Repeat twice more and end with a thin layer of sauce. Cover with the remaining parmesan and bake for 30 – 40 minutes until bubbling.
How you little ones can help
- Slicing the mozzarella (if you have a suitably safe blunt knife. Age and ability dependent)
- Grating the parmesan – age and ability dependent
- Measuring the dried herbs
- Brushing the aubergine with olive oil
- Layering the lasagne
- Taste testing for salt and pepper