Have you been bitten by the avocado bug? Avocados have hugely increased in popularity and it’s not surprising. Their beautifully creamy texture makes them perfect in sweet or savoury recipes. Packed with high levels good fats and plenty of potassium they really are a ‘super-food’.
Whether its breakfast, a snack, lunch or dinner, avocado on toast (or a cracker ) is quick and easy – not to mention a favourite of many kids and parents!
A ripe avocado
Toast or crackers
A squeeze of lemon juice – optional
A drizzle of olive oil – optional
A little black pepper – optional
Sliced tomatos – optional
Any herbs – optional
Herbs – optional
- Scoop the avocado out into a bowl and mash
- Add any of the optional ingredients: olive oil, pepper, lemon juice
- Spread over your toast or cracker
- Add any sliced tomato and a sprinkling of roughly chopped herbs
- Slice into sticks if needed
Tips: When you buy avocados gently press the fruit towards the tip to assess its firmness, which will indicate its ripeness. Get your little one to do this too. Buy a range of ripeness so they are best on different days.
How kids can hep:
- Helping to select a ripe avocado
- Scooping out the avocado flesh
- Mashing the avocado
- Drizzling over an olive oil, lemon juice or grind of black pepper
- Spreading the avocado over their toast or cracker
- Arranging any tomatoes or herbs over the top