Until I made these simple beetroot crisps, Bella and Poppy had not successfully eaten and enjoyed beetroot..(despite my efforts to convince them that they might, if they ate enough, do a pink wee!). All I can say is that they didn’t last long..
2 Large whole raw beetroot
Fills a medium sized bowl (they reduce in size massively in the oven!)
- Preheat oven to 140 ˚C/275˚F/Gas mark 1
- Slice the beetroot as thinly as you can, ideally using a mandolin
- Lay beetroot slices slightly overlapping on a wire rack placed on a baking tray
- Bake for approx. 40 minutes or until crunchy and fully dry
Tips: Be careful the crisps do not burn or they will taste bitter. The beetroot shrinks a lot so if you can, bake 2 trays at the same time.
We love beetroot because: it’s great for increasing stamina and also contains potassium, magnesium and iron as well as vitamins A, B and C and folic acid. We also love it because if we eat enough we produce pink urine!
How kids can help
- Your little one will be great at arranging the beetroot slices on a wire rack
- Ask your helper to gently transfer the crisps into a bowl ready to eat!