Have you tried the FFK recipe for popcorn? If so you’ll be a pro at making it by now – if not, you won’t be able to resist this caramel popcorn! Inspired the Australian kitchen goddess Donna Hay, I made this for Bella’s birthday party last year…. and the Mums polished it off before the kids even got a chance!
Add it to your Halloween party food and your guests will love you for it! The trick with this is to act quickly and be very organised.
160g Chopped almonds
110g Corn kernels
75g Granulated sugar
45g Unsalted butter
40g Coconut/ brown sugar
30g Shredded coconut
2 tbs Runny honey
1 1/2 tbs Sunflower or vegetable oil
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
Makes a large bowl
- Chop the almonds and toast at 160˚C for 5 minutes until gently toasted, then add the shredded coconut for 2 minutes
- Heat the oil on a high heat in a large saucepan – that has a lid
- Add the corn and shake to coat the kernels in the oil – then shake regularly until all the corn is popped. This should be 3-4 minutes
- Tip the popcorn into a large bowl with the nuts and coconut
- In a small saucepan gently melt the butter, honey and sugars until dissolved
- Turn up the heat until the mixture starts to turn a darker caramel colour – acting quickly – add the bicarb, mix as it bubbles and turns to honey comb – then pour over the popcorn and toasted nuts. Mix quickly as it will set
- Allow to cool on a tray
- Break up any large clumps
Options: you could add any chopped nuts or seeds or omit the coconut
How kids can help
- The most important job for your helper here is to taste test!
- Make sure your special person or people are out of our way as it gets pretty hot!