Infused oils are great for adding a subtle extra flavour. You wouldn’t believe how easy they are to make. These simple infused oils make the perfect homemade gift for a foodie.
Your choice of flavour: Dried whole chilli, peeled garlic cloves, rosemary, lemon peel etc..
Small oil bottle
- Measure out the volume of olive oil required to fill your bottle(s)
- Ensure your flavour is clean and dry e.g if it is rosemary from the garden give it a quick rinse under the tap
- Gently warm the olive oil in a pan with your choice of flavour to infuse
- Allow to cool and decant just the infused oil into your bottle
- Add a fresh sprig/ clove or spice to your oil bottle and tighten fully
- Store somewhere cool
- Be sure to tell the lucky recipient of your gift it’s best consumed within one week*
*Store bought infused oils are commercially sterilised with brine or vinegar to prevent bacterial growth. It is the water in the flavouring ingredient which is a risk for bacterial growth. To reduce this risk you could use commercially preserved flavours or dry flavours.
How kids can help
- Choosing the flavour and bottle
- Decanting the cool oil
- Popping a fresh flavour into the bottle
- Writing a beautiful label