It really feels like Autumn now here in London, time to rug up, put wellies on and hit the beautiful parks – slightly jealous of my Aussie friends swooning around in 34˚…
BUT we have the most amazing pears right now – these delicious fig and pear granola slices are perfect for an afternoon snack. Just try and keep your hands off them until they have cooled enough to cut up!
200g Quick cook oats
150g Nuts: 50g hazelnuts, 50g almonds, 50g walnuts. Roughly chopped (more finely chopped for younger kids).
100g Unsalted butter
100g Coarsely grated pear (approx. 1 pear)
80g Coconut or brown sugar
50g Chopped dried figs
2 generous tbs Runny honey
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla paste
A pinch sea salt flakes
Makes approx. 12 slices
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C and line a baking tray approx. 8 x 18cm
- Gently melt the butter, honey, vanilla and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat, until dissolved
- In a medium sized bowl mix the oats, sifted cinnamon, salt, nuts, fig and pear
- Add the honey mixture and stir until evenly coated
- Press into the lined tin
- Bake for approx. 30 mins in the middle shelf in the oven
- Allow to cool before cutting with a sharp knife
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week
Options: Use whatever nuts you prefer – or what you have in your cupboard! You could add some seeds too. Just keep it to 150g in total.
How kids can help
- Your helper will love weighing out the ingredients – perhaps sampling a few along the way!
- Mixing the dry ingredients together
- Pressing the granola mixture into the tin – although be careful it isn’t too hot