There is no reason to throw food away – even stale bread! French toast is a great way to use up old bread, it actually works better than fresh bread! French toast is good finger food for smaller children and a fun recipe to cook together. Serve it with berries or chopped fruit and a drizzle of maple syrup for a bit of indulgence – you will be perfectly set up to enjoy your weekend!
1 Free range or organic egg
25ml Whole milk
2 Slices of old bread
Fresh berries or fruit
A drizzle of maple syrup
Butter or coconut oil for frying
Icing sugar for dusting – optional
Makes 2 slices of eggy bread although this is dependent on the size of your bread and size of your egg. You will need enough mixture to cover your bread.
- Mix your egg and milk in a bowl
- Heat a knob of butter in a large pan
- Dip your bread in the mixture until fully covered and allow it to soak up the mixture. (Dip 1 slice at a time)
- When the butter starts to sizzle and foam add your eggy bread
- Cook for a minute or 2 on each side until golden
- Serve with fruit
- Drizzle with maple syrup and dust with icing sugar (optional)
Options: You could use rice malt syrup, agave syrup, honey, coconut sugar or traditional icing sugar in place of maple syrup. Frozen berries work well too.
How kids can help
- Cracking the egg(s) into a bowl
- Measuring the milk
- Mixing the egg and milk
- Dipping the bread
- Washing and preparing the fruit
- Arranging the fruit on the plate
- Drizzling with maple syrup – although be careful they don’t tip the entire bottle on like my girls try to do!