It’s party season in our house – both Bella and Poppy have birthdays at this time of year. The Star Melon Wands were such a success at Poppy’s party I wanted to do something similar for Bella but slightly different…. so I came up with this Fruit Flower Lolly idea!
Any melon will be fine; Honey dew or Cantaloupe work particularly well – the firmer the flesh the better.
Whether you have friends over for a play date and need ideas for an activity or simply just a pretty snack this is fun to do together.
Melon – a melon 14cm wide will make approx. 10 flowers of 5cm in diameter
Fruit for the flower centre: blueberries, raspberries, small grapes, black berries etc…
- Cut your melon in half and scoop out the seeds
- Slice the skin off
- Cut into 1- 1.5cm slices ensuring it is wide as possible to fit your chosen cutter
- Cut out your (flower) shapes
- Using a pipping nossel end, small shape cutter or apple corer cut out a hole in the centre of your flower
- Place your chosen fruit in the hole and insert your skewer
- Stand your melon fruit flowers up in a cup, bucket or similar filled with sugar
Tip – Prepare your flowers as close to the party or time of eating as possible, cover with a damp cloth and store in the fridge
How kids can help:
- Choosing which melon to buy – and showing your kids how to choose a firmer melon, by gently squeezing the end
- Cutting out the flower shapes with a cutter
- Arranging the fruit for the core inside the flower
- Carefully threading the skewer through the fruit
- Enjoying their fruit flower lollies!