If you had asked me a year ago about fizzy drink and kids – a BIG no. But this journey I am on with both kids and food has helped me to find a way to create a far better option to store bought pop. In fact, I will go as far as to say this ginger and lemon fizz pretty awesome! It is a great alternative to store bought drinks for parties and special evenings.
Not long ago I came across Sodastream (you have probably heard of them) – if you like your fizzy water and are looking into healthier fizzy drink options you should definitely check them out! Click here.
This ginger and lemon fizz will take more effort than buying from your local store but I promise you it’s so worth it for the fresh flavour and lack of preservatives, artificial colourings and excessive amounts of sugar…
Everyone needs something different, something special and something delicious for special occasions…
600ml Carbonated water
40g Peeled and sliced ginger
The peel of 2 lemons – the easiest way to do this is with a peeler
2 tbs Honey
A few slices of lemon for garnish in your water jug
- Chill your water
- Gently heat your ginger, lemon and honey in a pan with 8 -10 tbs water. Careful not to let it bubble. When piping hot turn the heat off
- Leave to infuse for half an hour if you have time
- Add any lemon slices for decoration, pour in your syrup
- Add your Sodastream carbonated water or other carbonated water until you have your preferred sweetness
- Serve immediately
Tips: The colder the water the more the flavour is dulled so the sweeter you may need your syrup. Adding ice is perfect for a hot sunny day but does suppress the bubbles.
How kids can help:
- Peeling the lemons – older kids approx. 5 years old +
- Measuring the honey and adding to the saucepan
- Taste testing