Even with kids it’s a great opportunity to create more love in the house for Valentines! Hearts are Bella’s favourite shapes to draw and I can’t get enough of her slightly wonky higgledy piggledy hearts.
It’s slightly nostalgic but warm melted cheese sandwiches dipped into a bowl of homemade soup is my idea of heavenly comfort food on cold winters days.
So combine hearts and melted cheese and hey presto – melted cheese heart sandwiches! The girls love them. They make a great party sandwich too!
Brown and white sliced bread
Cheese – choose your favourite!
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C
- Chop your crusts off
- Fill your white sandwiches with cheese then place on a tray in the oven until the cheese melts. Repeat the same process with your brown sandwiches
- Cut into the sandwich into the size you want
- Using a heart shaped cookie cutter – stamp out a heart and swap with the opposite coloured sandwich
Tips you could use other shapes too. It works best with ‘solid shapes’ i.e. with not much detail as the cookie cutter can get stuck. Smaller sandwiches need the melted cheese to ‘glue’ the sandwich together but this is not necessary for larger sandwiches – or you could use a little mayo or butter to help it stick.
How kids can help
- If old enough chopping the crusts off
- Arranging the cheese in the sandwiches
- Cutting out the shapes