Have you made humous? If you have, you will probably have encountered 2 issues… firstly you make an awful lot and secondly it doesn’t last very long before going mouldy. Sound familiar?
These issues are easily overcome. Either make humous when you have friends over or you know you will get through lots! Alternatively you could just make a batch using half the quantity. As for having a short (ish) shelf life – this IS a good thing. When you make humous yourself, you know what goes into it and I’m not just talking about the ingredients – the chemicals used in packaging too that don’t need to be labelled…
Kids love dipping, it’s fun! Humous also encourages them to eat veggie sticks. Great for picnics, on-the-go snacks or simply spread into a sandwich. From babies to oldies, humous is a great family food.
1 Can of chickpeas 400g – thoroughly rinsed, then dried
70ml Olive oil
2 tbs Tahini
1.5tbs Lemon juice
1 Garlic clove – crushed or finely chopped
1 tsp Salt flakes
1/4 tsp Ground cumin
Pinch of pepper
Makes a medium bowl
- Add all your ingredients to your blender except for the liquids (Olive oil, water and lemon juice) and blitz
- With the motor running, slowly add the lemon juice, followed by the water and finally pour in the olive oil
- Taste the humous, check the seasoning and if you want garnish with a little chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil – enjoy with veggie sticks!
How kids can help:
- Measuring out your ingredients
- Rinsing and drying the chick peas
- Peeling the garlic clove
- Juicing half a lemon – to make lemon juice
- Taste testing – enjoying!