Being the sort of food nerd that I am, I follow quite a lot of international ‘healthy’ bloggers, particularly those for healthy kids. One thing that has been trending is ‘fruit soups’.
Sometimes we have quite thick smoothies at home – without realising that these were actually ‘fruit soups’! A perfect healthy snack, a dessert or ‘pick-me-up’ drink.
When I see an abundance of a fruit or veggies – usually in season, or on special offer I buy a few. Prepare it and any excess to my requirements I chuck in the freezer in mini portions.
This really does mean for this recipe you can pull it out of the freezer and within a few minutes be enjoying this absolutely ‘divine’ (Bella’s words) fruit soup. Perfect for healthy kids.
The flesh of 1 perfectly ripe mango – preferably alfonso
1 x peeled orange
1 x tablespoon of chopped nuts and seeds – your favourite. Toast your nuts for an extra ‘caramelly’ flavour.
A few crushed frozen raspberries – optional
Make 2 generous kids portions
- Blitz the mango and orange together – if you are using frozen ingredients you will have a lovely thick creamy consistency. If you are using raw fruit try adding a few ice cubes as this will cool your ‘soup’ and thicken it up.
- Pour into a cup and sprinkle with your favourite nuts, seeds and crushed raspberries
How kids can help:
- Selecting a perfectly ripe mango – either suitable for freezing or for using
- Adding your mango and orange to your ‘blitzer’
- Pouring your soup into glasses
- Garnishing with your lovely fruit soup with nut and seed topping
- Crushing any raspberries and adding them to the top
- Letting your healthy kids enjoy!