Eggs are incredibly nourishing. They are so easy to prepare and can be prepared in so many ways. Boiled eggs are very popular in my house in the morning – my girls call them ‘Daddy Eggs’ and love them with ‘soldiers’ (sticks of toast to dip). The perfect breakfast for my husband to make as he is always in a rush in the mornings!
Eggs – Medium free range or organic
- Add boiling water to a saucepan and turn hob on
- Gently lower eggs gently into the boiling water
- Boil eggs with water gently simmering for:
- 4 1/2 minutes to achieve a runny yolk and a just set white
- 6 minutes for a well set white with a runny yolk
- 10 minutes for a set yolk
- Run eggs under the tap/place in a bowl of iced water to stop eggs cooking further
Useful info: You can tell how fresh your egg is but how round your yolk is and how the egg white holds its shape. A stale egg is flatter. Since you can’t tell from the outside how fresh your eggs are, buy from a store with a high turnover. Store eggs pointed end downwards so the air pocket is on top. You can freeze extra egg whites in old weaning trays, just make sure they are fully wrapped up and use within a month.
How kids can help
- Your helper will love to peel off the egg shell