Kids love dips – they are a great way to engage kids with food. Have you ever read the ingredient list on the back of store bought chilli sauce..? You might feel slightly terrified at the length of the list! Here is a really quick recipe for sweet chilli sauce that only requires 4 ingredients.
1 x Red chilli finely diced
2 x tbs Sugar
2 tbs Hot water
1 x tbs Rice wine vinegar
Makes a small dipping bowl – suitable for 6 chicken rice paper rolls
- Dissolve the sugar in the water over a gentle heat in a small pan
- Add the rice wine vinegar and chopped chilli and allow to simmer until reduced by half – this will only take a couple of minutes
Tip: Your sweet chilli sauce will thicken as is cools. Simply double the quantity and make a bigger batch if you need more. Once cooled store your sweet chilli sauce in the fridge covered with cling film, use within a week – if it lasts that long!
How kids can help:
- Measuring out the ingredients – although an adult should measure the hot water
- If old enough – finely chopping the chilli
- Taste testing the sweet chilli sauce!